Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Why Dishwashing Machines Are Useless

As a single guy, with no dependants and able to last a couple weeks even on my meager amount of dishware, I find dishwashing machines to be utterly useless. I can understand how, for a family of four or more, it might be a time saver, at the very least. Even in that instance, I think there is something to be said for washing your own dishes, by hand.

First, dishwashers seldom actually work. Most of the time, I've found that they only melt the grime into your plates and bowls all the more. What else would you expect? It sprays boiling hot water at them for over an hour! You never hear of any production machinery that does that. What kind of product would require tiny bits of stuff melted onto its surface?

That brings me to my second point - it takes far too long. I could wash my own dishes by hand in a fraction of the time it takes the dishwasher, and with a fraction of the water usage.

Not only does it use a lot of water (which is a real waste due to my first point), but then you have the electricity bill for the device itself. An hour of water pumps running and inner machinery rotating - almost like a dam, only it's not self-sufficient. Quite the opposite!

Finally, it can actually damage your dishware. Anything placed improperly, or anything not specifically labelled as dishwasher safe, can likely be damaged. Boiling hot water spraying glass objects around at a high velocity? What could go wrong?

Thus, count me in favor of manual dishwashing. The irony here is that you'd think I've never been a dishwasher (because if I had, I'd be ready to let a machine do it for me, right?) However, aside from my current career (just over two years in IT as a programmer) my most common job was actually a dishwasher. I had more experience at dishwashing than anything else when I started my current programming job. This is coming from an experienced dish pit worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment